Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Independence Day

Happy Independence Day!  This has always been one of my favorite times of the year...the parades, fireworks, barbecues, and family. I grew up in a huge family, and every July 4 we went to the town parade then spent the rest of the day at a local baseball park. We put up shades, brought tons of food, and just enjoyed each other. The grown-ups talked about whatever grown-ups talk about, and all of us cousins played softball, Frisbee,  and water guns. The heat never seemed to bother us! As soon as it started to get dark, we spread out the blankets and just anticipated the upcoming show. I remember asking (about every 2 minutes) when it would start. Then the sky would explode! I have to say, our small town went above and beyond with their presentation. The local radio stations would play patriotic music as the fireworks were ignited from the fair grounds. These are memories I will cherish forever.

Now, my husband and I have our own traditions. My husband, a police officer, works at the city parade while I take our kids to a local parade in our neighborhood. Then the whole family (decidedly smaller now) meets at our house for food and games. As soon as it is dark enough we sit in our backyard and watch the firework show ignited from a small island in the middle of a reservoir about a mile away from our house.

Though the celebration is smaller, the spirit and anticipation are just the same. We feel privileged to live in this great country with all the freedoms we enjoy.
My niece, Fae, at her 1st July 4 Parade. In the background my daughter, Allison is giving candy to another little parade-watcher.

To help my teacher friends celebrate, I'm offering 2 of my patriotic products as freebies for the entire month of July. Happy Independence Day! Click on the pictures to go to my TPT page and get your freebie.

American Hero Informational Writing Unit

Patriotic Clip Art

2 comments:

  1. Great 4th of July memories, and holding on to tradition, sharing and passing along to the next generation. Even though the family has all scattered we each keep the same traditions in our new homes with our families.

    ReplyDelete